LET US HELP YOU TAKING CARE OF YOUR PET
we are here to help, with pleasure and kindness
Welcome to Rover’s Recess,
premier dog walking service for the last 15 years, and a blog that brings to you everything related to dogs today
We were a Monday through Friday midday dog walking business serving Central Virginia’s dogs since the last century. We provided a much needed break for dogs that are left home alone for long stretches of time. A member of our team of well trained, compassionate dog walkers would come to your home to walk your dog individually in his or her own neighborhood, providing a potty break and exercise as well as a highlight to his/her long days alone.
We are all responsible, dog loving folks who can’t think of a more satisfying way to spend our time. No one loves your dog more than we do, except maybe you.
Today, we are giving more… we provide guidance and advice to every one through our blog. You will find here some great content and articles about rovers and pets, and as always, it is for a pleasure.
here are some of our previous clients and visitors talking about their stories:
- Cynthia Elkey “Top Dog” Rover Pack Member since January 1999:
- With a strong love of all creatures, and a desire to spend as much time with dogs as possible, I started a pet sitting and dog walking business in Northern VA in 1985 which was sold in 1998 in order to relocate to beautiful Central Virginia. I started Rover’s Recess in January 1999 to fill the needs of dogs that are left alone for long hours during the weekdays while their owners are away. I have served on the Board of National Assoc. of Professional Pet Sitters, and currently serve on the Board of Directors of the Companion Animal Fund and the Board of Directors of Central Blue Ridge Chapter of the Virginia Master Naturalists. When not working or volunteering, I enjoy hiking, kayaking, reading, listening to music and NPR, and hanging out with friends, my husband Grayson Poats, and our 1 dog and 2 cats.
- Gail Graves Rover Pack Member since July 2004
- Gail was raised in the military and moved to Nelson Co with her family where she graduated from Nelson Co High School. She has worked with autistic children in the past and has now been walking dogs for Rover’s Recess for over 14 years. She lives with her husband and adult daughter on a ranch in Nelson Co where they raise Angus cows. She currently has 8 dogs of her own and all of them are spoiled rotten. She also does pet sitting and house sitting as a side line business.
- Judy Roberts Rover Pack Member since September 2004
- When I’m not out walking my Rover’s Recess dog buddies, you will probably still find me being very active. I love to kayak, hike, bike, run, play pickleball, and basically anything that keeps me on the move. I also love music and hanging out with my friends and family. I’m the proud mother of two wonderful adult children, and one very special grandson
- Marie Corken Rover Pack Member since November 2008
- I’ve enjoyed getting to know everyone’s pets and really appreciate my job that feels more like play than work! I grew up in New Mexico and Colorado, but have been in Virginia since 1991. I have done many jobs, from teaching horseback riding and swimming, to selling cars and running my own mobile grooming business for 10 years. Now a single mother of a 21 year old young man, I enjoy reading, traveling, and most of all animals. I hope one day to be back on the farm with dogs, cats, and horses!
- Beverly Wright Rover Pack Member since April 2011
- I’ve been working with the public for forty-five years. I started out in the hotel, food and beverage industry; went on to enjoy a career in human services working with children and adults; and just recently retired from NBC29 TV after 28 years in advertising. I have two grown children, one granddughter, 2 dogs, and a love for horses, travel, and the outdoors. I’m now enjoying my two favorite pastimes at once: walking and dogs…working (not!) for Rover’s Recess.
- Tracy Harrington Rover Pack Member since August 2015
- I worked for Rover’s Recess for a couple of years starting in 2003 and then returned to the pack in 2015. I’m married to my wonderful husband Rod and have a grown son Bradley and a sweet dog Maila. I am a passionate advocate for autism awareness and the rights of people with disabilities. Am also a James Madison University graduate, a retired social worker & a lover of music and dogs, of course!
- Joyce Dudek Rover Pack Member since December 2018
- I recently retired after 25 years at AHIP, a home repair non-profit. Now I have plenty of time for dog activities, including walking dogs. I have always had at least one dog. Currently, we share our home with a standard poodle and a poodle mix. They both love doing agility and tricks. Rennie, the standard poodle, is a certified therapy dog. We visit area nursing homes. Also, we like dock diving, hiking, and poodle romps through the woods.
- Sandy Griffin Rover Pack Member since June 2019
- I am a former Albemarle county school teacher, with over 18 years of experience teaching young children . I love the mountains of Virginia and enjoy being outdoors with animals. Two of my favorite hobbies are Horseback riding and taking long walks. My husband and I live on a small farm with several cows and our two sweet collies, Shep and Elsie. As far back as I can remember, dogs have always been a wonderful part of our lives. I am very happy to be taking walks with so many new dog friends through Rover Recess!